Wednesday, November 5, 2008

BBD#14 Autumn Time Bread












Here is bread that I made today. There is a blog for bread baking day (http://grainpower.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/bread-baking-day-14-colored-breads/) and this bread is what I am entering.
I have been thinking on this for about a week and knew I wanted to do something with pumpkin.
After Halloween I cooked up the leftover jack-o-lanterns and put it in the refrigerator. I knew I didn't want just plain pumpkin, so I thought of a braid. (Thanks, Birrd for the pumpkin.)
I looked at some of my recipes and found an old recipe from high school days, called 'Swiss Braid Bread'.
I took from that recipe and added to it.

Isn't it beautiful!!! You eat a slice and taste pumpkin, like pumpkin pie, then chocolate, like nice warm hot cocoa, then a great slice of bread. It really tasted good.
Autumn Time Bread
1) Sprinkle yeast in water and add sugar, let proof 5 minutes.
1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water (95-105˚)
½ teaspoon sugar
.

2) In a shaker type container mix up:
1 ¼ cup warm water and ¼ cup powered milk,
or can just use 1 ¼ cup milk that has been scalded and cooled to lukewarm

3) In a large bowl add:
½ cup sourdough starter, yeast mixture and the milk.

4) Next add:
1 egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4-4 1/2 cups flour
Knead all this together and put in a large greased bowl and let rise. You will need to add extra flour as you knead, so that the dough is not too sticky. Put into greased bowl and cover. Let rise about 1 hour, to double in size.

5) After this first rising, take out of bowl and divide into 3 equal pieces to start making the ropes.

6) To the first rope add 2 tablespoons *corn flour
(not corn meal, see note* 1)

7) To the second rope add ¼ cup cocoa and ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.

8) To the third or last rope add ½ cup pureed pumpkin (can use canned pumpkin); again here you will be adding extra flour, as you go along, until the dough isn’t so sticky. (see note*2 )

9) Put each rope into 3 separate greased bowls and let rest for about 10 minutes, to absorb their flavors.

10) Preheat oven to 350˚.

11) Now take each rope and roll into a 12” length rope and braid the 3 ropes together.

12) Put the braid onto a greased cookie sheet that has been lightly sprinkled with corn meal.


13) Take an egg yolk with about 1 teaspoon of water and make an egg wash. Brush this onto the braid and then sprinkle about ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon on top of the braid.
Also sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top of the braid.

14) Bake for 35-40 minutes, although I had to bake for 45 minutes.

*Note 1: corn flour is at health food store, but you can for the 2 tablespoons ground up corn meal a little finer and use it. I wouldn’t go and buy corn flour just for 2 tablespoons. I do use it in other baking, so I have it on hand.

*Note 2: when adding the pumpkin to the 3rd rope, you will have more dough here and the rope would be too long. With this extra dough, I make a big roll, put into a pie pan and bake it for about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

scraps said...

If you want a treat for a good sweet bread, try this recipe!

Madjy said...

It's very beautiful ,I love it !

scraps said...

Thank you Madjy, I am sure this is going to be a autumn tradition.