Wednesday, May 13, 2009

another one of those days....

                                                                                                            



Today I wanted to make some bran muffins for breakfast and realized I was almost out of flour. So instead of jumping in the car and getting some, I decided to make these muffins with what I had on hand. Here is the orginal recipe and then I will explain what I did to change it, just a bit......

All-Bran Muffin Mix

 

2 ½ cups sugar

4 eggs

4 teaspoons soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 quart buttermilk

2 cups All-Bran®(by Kellogg’s)

4 cups Bran-Buds® (by Kellogg’s)

1 cup shortening

5 cups flour

 

1) Pour buttermilk over All-Bran®, let set.

2) Cream shortening with sugar and egg. Add All-Bran® and buttermilk along with dry Bran-Buds®.

3) Sift flour, soda and salt together; add and mix.

4) May be refrigerated (don’t freeze) up to six weeks or baked immediately.

5) Bake in pre-heated oven 400˚ for 16-19 minutes.

6) Makes 3 quarts of dough (about 80 muffins).

 

                                                                                                   What I did different, with what I had on hand. I used 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups white spelt flour, 1 cup wheat, 1/2 cup whole spelt flour for the 5 cups of flour called in the recipe. 

Didn't have a full quart of buttermilk, so used 1 cup buttermilk, 1 cup yogurt, 2 cups milk.

You can use vegetable oil in this recipe, as I have done it many times, but this time, because of the extra types of flour I did use Crisco® . These muffins came out just as light and fluffy as the regular recipe, maybe even a bit lighter.

I also baked the entire recipe and froze 2 1/2 dozen. It only made 3 1/2 dozen, not 80 muffins. Probably because I fill the muffin tin 2/3 full. 

No changes in temperature or baking time.

Since I had the powered milk out; I did go ahead and make up some yogurt, more buttermilk and sourdough. Now I will be baking!!!!!

*The beverage in the picture is a fruit, yogurt shake. Yogurt, milk, fresh blueberries and frozen stawberries, with a tad of honey. Yum!!! I am starting to freeze some fresh fruits, so that they can be the 'cold' in my fruit shakes, that way I don't have to add extra ice. I have frozen: strawberries, blueberries, pieces of fresh pineapple, raspberries and even bananas.



No comments: