Slightly sweet, flavored with lemon, and full of poppy seeds, tender delicious bread! Here is the bread I decided to make for the BBD #23. It took me way too long to figure out which bread I wanted to try, that I have not made. Well an opportunity came up for a church potluck, so got out one of my grandson's cookbooks and went to work. Here is what I baked and it did win a prize for using whole grains!
Lemon Poppyseed Braid
½ cup lemon yogurt (the store was out of lemon yogurt, so I used plain and added to 2 tablespoons of juice from a lemon.)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ tablespoons poppyseeds
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached bread flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons yeast
Glaze or egg wash:
1 egg white beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Beat egg with yogurt, butter, sugar, poppyseeds, and lemon zest.
- Sift together the flours, yeast and salt.
- Stir all of the ingredients together to get the flours wet. You may need to add more unbleached flour, (as I did, almost another 1 cup).
- Knead the dough by hand until soft and not too wet.
- Put dough into a well-greased bowl and let rise for about 1 hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size take out of bowl and knead onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and roll into a rope, about 14” long.
- Braid the three ropes into a braid and put onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (Can use a greased cookie sheet.)
- Cover dough and rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
- Brush top of dough with egg-water wash.
- Bake bread in a preheated oven 350˚F until golden, 25-35 minutes. Make sure dough is done in middle, use the toothpick method to check.