Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BBD #23 “Something You’ve Never Made Before"

This is my granddaughter's hand, giving this recipe a thumbs up for the recipe I chose for the BBD #23 hosted by Nick of imafoodblog.com. Thanks Nick and group for hosting this month. Will be making this bread again.

Slightly sweet, flavored with lemon, and full of poppy seeds, tender delicious bread! Here is the bread I decided to make for the BBD #23. It took me way too long to figure out which bread I wanted to try, that I have not made. Well an opportunity came up for a church potluck, so got out one of my grandson's cookbooks and went to work. Here is what I baked and it did win a prize for using whole grains!



Lemon Poppyseed Braid

1 egg

½ cup lemon yogurt (the store was out of lemon yogurt, so I used plain and added to 2 tablespoons of juice from a lemon.)

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons sugar

1 ½ tablespoons poppyseeds

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup unbleached bread flour

1 cup whole-wheat flour

1 ½ teaspoons yeast

Glaze or egg wash:

1 egg white beaten with 2 teaspoons water

  • Beat egg with yogurt, butter, sugar, poppyseeds, and lemon zest.
  • Sift together the flours, yeast and salt.
  • Stir all of the ingredients together to get the flours wet. You may need to add more unbleached flour, (as I did, almost another 1 cup).
  • Knead the dough by hand until soft and not too wet.
  • Put dough into a well-greased bowl and let rise for about 1 hour.
  • When the dough has doubled in size take out of bowl and knead onto a lightly floured surface.
  • Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and roll into a rope, about 14” long.
  • Braid the three ropes into a braid and put onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (Can use a greased cookie sheet.)
  • Cover dough and rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
  • Brush top of dough with egg-water wash.
  • Bake bread in a preheated oven 350˚F until golden, 25-35 minutes. Make sure dough is done in middle, use the toothpick method to check.
Orginal recipe by: Deborah Gray of the baker's bible

1 comment:

Sara said...

Fabulous job. I have made lemon poppyseed muffins, and I love the idea of making it into a braided bread. Thanks for joining us for this month's BBD!