Monday, January 10, 2011

Oh My Gosh! Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas





I have seen recipes for Green Enchiladas and remember tasting a recipe from a good friend of mine. And so I thought after all these years I would give it a try! Well, I bought some green enchilada sauce and had some leftovers to use up, so here is what I came up with:
Green  Chili Chicken Enchiladas

Things I had on hand (or leftovers) and needed to use up:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
8-10 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup homemade chicken broth
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup mixed vegetables (opt.)
Spices:
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
Salt and pepper to taste
(of course you can use what spices you like.)

Canned goods:
1 can (15.5 oz) hominy, drained
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained
1 can (4 oz) diced chilies, drained
1 can (6 oz) olives, drained (I used ½ can of olives and sliced them myself, put you could use small can of sliced olives)
1 can (10 oz) mild green chili enchilada sauce

12 yellow corn tortillas
8 ounces Jack cheese ( I also had about 2-3 ounces of Colby/Jack cheese that I put in), grated

Into 3 quart sauce pan put: chicken, celery, onion, tomatoes, veggies, and chicken broth. Cooked for about 10 minutes and add the sour cream.
Next add the canned goods except the enchilada sauce. Cook another 5 minutes and now add the enchilada sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes and set aside.

Into a 9x13” cooking dish (which I sprayed with PAM), layer the tortillas, chicken mixture and grated cheese. I layer 3 layers. Bake at 350˚ for about 30 minutes; watch to make sure cheese doesn’t burn.

Note: by making this up, I realize you could use any meat or vegetables you desire. You can even use all Jack cheese, Colby, Cheddar or Pepper Jack, if you want spicier.  Use your imagination and go for it!
sorry about the can of chilies, I should have washed it out before I took the picture, it's just extra chili pieces.I think it is funny in the pictures, the cheese looks like toasted marshmallows.

No comments: