Monday, June 27, 2011

Picnic Time Celebration


This is the place for the picnic of the summer of recipes!!! I ran across this web site and thought I would like to participate, so I sent it in to Louise. It is interesting that I just went to the library and checked out this cookbook and found a recipe and then this web site, pretty cool!


This summer I have been reading cookbooks instead of novels and have had some fun in doing so. The 1950's cookbook has been fun to not only look at the cool pictures but to read the recipes and image the days I grew up in. Yep, I was one who grew up in the 50's and 60's! So some of these recipes brings back memories to me. How interesting as we get older that we try and go back to our childhood days of sweet innocence. Fun times!
Back to the picnic!
Lousie from Months of Edible Celebrations is and has hosted this for the last few years. What good recipes have come from it and shows us what good things we can bring to picnics! Thanks Louise! This is the web site to go to and see what's there along with many of her other recipes.  http://monthsofediblecelebrations.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-international-picnic-day-time-to.html
Here are the letters before the letter 'H' in which I chose and their sites:

A-Apricot Cobbler (Mae)



C-Cherry Bars in a Jar (Barbara)




F-Fingerling Potato Salad w/ Honey-Thyme Vinaigrette (Heather)


G-Gugelhopf Twister (Kristy)


Dont' they all look great, thus far!
Ok, for the letter 'H', drum roll......
Honey Graham Roll-up!
 This recipe sounded so good, that I just had to try. Well, I have decided that yes, I would make it again but that I wouldn't put in as much lemon juice or better yet, try it with apple juice.


 Recipe:
Honey Graham Roll-up
Serves 6
1/2 pound honey grahams crackers (could buy and use graham cracker crumbs)
1/2 pound dates, pitted and chopped (could buy and use already chopped dates)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 pound chopped marshmallows (could use small marshmallow and not have to chop them) 
3 tablespoons lemon juice I think next time I will try apple juice.)
1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions:
Roll crackers with a rolling pin until crumbled fine.
Combine ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Add cream if too dry. (As you see the recipe doesn't call for cream, so I guess they mean if you have cream on hand.) Form in roll. Wrap in wax paper. Let stand overnight. Slice. Served with whip cream.

Alrighty, this is the recipe from the book. To me the lemon juice was over powering, so maybe use less if you want to taste lemon. That is why I am suggesting apple juice, I want to taste the dates, nuts and marshmallows more than lemon juice.   Also I should of cut the marshmallows much smaller, but that is what I had on hand. I could see bringing this to a picnic as you could slice thinner and add a scoop of home-made vanilla ice cream!!! I tried chocolate ice cream to see if it would taste like a-smore, but it didn't. Definitively, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream would set this recipe off just right! Yes, I will make this again, I did like it!!!
Next to the recipe it does have a recipe for making marshmallow cream, so instead of making I did try a spoonful already made, not bad, but too sweet for me.
Here's the two recipes from the book.

With marshmallow creme.

Can't wait to see what letters 'I through Z' are! Have fun picnicking this summer!


5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

And I thought I was the only one who liked to curl up with a good cookbook! Don't you just love taking a step back in time?

Thank you so much for introducing yourself and playing the Picnic Game, Glenda. You have done a wonderful post and those Honey Graham Roll-ups are just perfect for the picnic! There's going to be a lot of blanket jumping at our picnic because there are just so many goodies. Just you wait and see.

Thank you again, Glenda. You have a lovely blog and I'm delighted to have the chance to now Bookmark it!!!

Of course, I'll "see" you at the picnic!!!

GStaples said...

Thanks Louise for your nice comment. See you at the picnic!

Barbara said...

Well, I was raising MY kids during that era, which certainly gives away my age! :) I love those old cookbooks and especially all the old church cookbooks. So many gem recipes in them.
Love your honey graham roll ups!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Hi Glenda, this is the perfect item to bring to the picnic. I am sold when you said to eat with vanilla ice cream:D

GStaples said...

Thanks for the nice comments, Barbara and Qua Po!