Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Heavenly Lemon Meringue Pie




Found this recipe on google search for Heavenly Lemon Meringue Pie! There were two but I decided to try this because of the pictures, it reminded me most of the pie we had when I worked at Bullock's, link here: http://domesticatedengineer.blogspot.com/2009/01/bullocks-pasadena.html
The link to Tina's recipe that I use is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/heavenly-pie-lemon-meringue-reversed-50613 
Check out here page as her recipe and pictures are there. She has much better pictures than I do.
Anyway, I enjoyed the flavor as it did remind me of the pie at Bullocks. I think I need to practice mixing a little longer on the egg whites, as the sugar didn't seem to dissolve and make a better meringue. Also I guess with the egg yolks you are making a lemon curd without butter. I just watch a video clip on this and now I know what I should have done to make it better. So yes, I will be trying this recipe again and hopefully have more patience on mixing egg whites and the yolks a little longer.
I don't know about you but I love bringing back some of the good old memories.
I will call this Bullock's Heavenly Lemon Meringue Pie, because that is how I will remember it.

Crust: 
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I didn't put this in, as we didn't at Bullocks, so your choice)



For crust: Beat eggs whites until stiff, 3-4 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff, but not dry. Blend in juice (if you use it). Coat 9 inch pie pan with non-stick spray. Spoon in meringue and with a tablespoon, push up mixture around edges (so you are making a ring for the edge). Bake at 200 degrees F, for 2 hours. Cool.

As you can see, I needed to push the meringue out from the center a little more, as it was too puffy.
Filling:
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 large lemon, juiced and zested
2 cups whipped cream (this needs to be whipped, not liquid)
1 tablespoon powered sugar
 
Before doing the filling I would suggest looking at the video of how to make lemon curd. (http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonCurd.html)
Filling:
In a metal bowl, that is going to fit over a pan of boiling water, or the top of a double boiler: beat egg yolks with sugar, lemon juice and zest until light in color and slightly thickened. Cook stirring, in top of double boiler or the bowl, (if that is what you are using) but not touching the simmering water. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly. Fold in half of whipped cream. Turn into meringue crust and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Meringue with the filling.
Take the other half of the whip cream and fold in the powered sugar and spread over chilled pie.
Enjoy!

As you can see, mine is not as stiff as I would like, so will be trying this again, another day.
The kiddos and I loved this pie, so will be making again to perfect it. I also think I will add more juice and lemon zest, as I would like more of the lemon flavor to the curd.
I am sorry if you have to copy and paste the web sites, as I need to figure out how to put the links in to where you can just click on them.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I love pineapple upside down cake and lemon meringue pie! I've never seen a pie with the meringue on the bottom instead of on top - this is a must try!! Thank you!!