Saturday, May 21, 2011

Blackberry Syrup

 


www.google.com

Finally the library got in "Sugar Baby" by Gesine Bullock-Prada!!
 
It's a cookbook just for sugar. I have heard so much about it through her blog and from people who follow her on facebook, I just couldn't wait for the library to get it in. At first they said it wasn't available to order because of budget cuts, and then when I was in the other day, a librarian said the book was in! As I have been reading it, I was thinking and thinking on which recipe to start with. I really want to accomplish the 'Parisian Macarons', but just need to get some time to do so. This is a great book to add to your collection.
Today I knew that I wanted to make some waffles with blackberry syrup, so that gave me the idea to make 'Simple Syrup' page 21 in her book.
Simple Syrup is really just sugar water, cook until the sugar is dissolved. There are many things you can do with. I know my friends who decorate cakes, use it to crumb their cakes. With flavorings you can use it in drinks. I liked how she makes lemonade from this. Read Gesine's book for her recipe.  I like to make fruit syrups for pancakes and waffles or ice cream toppings.



Here is my Blackberry Syrup recipe, that I have made ever since high school days:
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
12 ounce container of blackberries (about 2 cups)
Sugar and water













Start heating up and boil the sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes.




Add the blackberries.



Let this boil for 4 minutes. I do add 2 tablespoons of corn syrup so it won't crystallized. You can add it if  you want, it depends how fast you use the syrup up.
After 4 minutes, take it off the stove and cool.  You can use it warm or refrigerate it for ice cream.
The foam on top doesn't stay after it is cooled.
This is the basic recipe, you could make this with strawberries, a mix of berries, apples, peaches, whatever fruit you  want. I wouldn't suggest bananas though.
Enjoy!!

No comments: