Thursday, May 5, 2011

Junior Year 1967-68



 How to start is always the hard part, and once you get into it, things go easier. I have had the pictures and different ideas going through my head for about 2 weeks and just can't get started.
So here goes -  my Junior year at Azusa High!

Good friends, Robert and Larry.
Will start with football pictures, as that is how we started every school. A big thing at Azusa was going to all the football games. From the yearbook: "Opening the season in grand style, Azusa white-washed Gladstone 21-0, to earn the Rotary Club trophy. The Aztecs gained revenge for last year's 42-14 loss as they trounced the hapless Glendora Tartans 27-0 and earned the coveted Herald-Press trophy,
 Steve Murray sparked the Azusa offense and the defensive unit chalked up its second shoutout. In their first league game the Aztecs polished off highly-touted Baldwin Park 32-2. Against Charter Oak, Azusa exploded for 25 first half points and went on to record a shutout, 31-0. John Polak's three touchdowns led the Aztecs overcame a record passing performance by Joe Gomez of Nogales.
Homecoming was celebrated with a 20-13 victory over Northview. Nick Jara scored twice for Azusa.
The Homecoming court. Donna Rogers was elected queen.
 Riding high on a six game winning streak, Azuda was stunned by Rowland 27-21. With 39 seconds remaining, the Raiders scored to put the game on ice.
In a complete reversal of their previous play, the Aztecs finished the season on a disappointing note by losing to South Hills 21-0 and Covina 25-14." Wow! Just typing this was bringing back so many memories. Watching my brother and so many friends on that football team, makes me wonder where some of them are. Here the football team in a split of two pictures.

My brother, #65.  
 One more picture with my brother:
See my brother? #65, that's Kent!
 
I enjoyed watching the games with my friends and sometimes with the family. Yep, my parents, younger brother and sister went to the games also. My dad was good about taking me and my friends to all the games.
Will continue on this memory a little later...........

No comments: