Monday, September 12, 2011

Lasagna in the Crock Pot


How I to made lasagna in the crock pot:
Brown one pound of ground beef with 1 onion, 1/2 sliced red pepper and 1/2 cup shredded zucchini. Then add about 2 teaspoons Italian spices, (or how you spice your Italian dishes). Next add 1 can (15 ounce size) diced tomatoes, 1 can (8 ounce tomato sauce) and 1 can (6 ounce size) tomato paste. Plus I add a jar of spaghetti or marinara sauce. To this I add a container, pint size of cottage cheese. This is my meat mixture.
I took my new 5.5 quart crock pot (you should spray with PAM, as it would of been easier for me to clean) and first put in the meat mixture, then the lasagna noodles, (about 3 at a time, broken in half, I did not cook these up), and some sliced cheeses of your choice, (I use cheddar/colby and mozzarella and Parmesan). Continue to layer at least 3 or 4 layers. Ending with meat mixture. Put plastic wrap right on top of this and your lid to the crock pot. Put this in refrigerator overnight. Make sure this crock is not the machine part of the crock you are putting in the refrigerator, but only the stoneware part. This process will soften the noodles.
Five hours before serving, take out crock from refrigerator and take off plastic wrap, (throw away plastic wrap) and let set on counter for about an hour. Then put into your crock pot machine and cook on low for 3-4 hours. The last 1/2 hour sprinkle on the last layer of cheeses and turn off crock and let cheese melt. Spoon out and serve.
Next time I make this I will take pictures as part of the process, I am sorry I didn't think to do this before I started.
This was so good and easy, didn't have to heat up the house to make it. Had my daughter and the 3 grandchildren over to enjoy it with me!!!! It was cooking while we were at church (our church last 3 hours on Sundays) and came home to a nice supper.
Enjoy!

No comments: