Friday, September 9, 2011

A Way to Stretch Chicken and Cornbread Yogurt Recipe

I bought a 2.5 package of chicken tenders. I put 1/2 of the bag in the crock pot and just boiled them with carrots, celery and onion. Then for the first dinner, I had chicken, scalloped potatoes, carrots and a small salad.
I just wanted plain chicken, tonight. But you can fried them or spice them up however you want.
The next day, I received the 5.5 quart crock pot in the mail, which I won! So I decided to make up a big pot of chicken soup for days 2, 3 or 4 until I finish up the soup.

I did have some cornbread leftover, so I also tried out the little crock with honey butter in it, to spread on the cornbread. Delicious dinner! I enjoy homemade chicken noodle soup!
What did I do with the other 1/2 bag of chicken? It was used in this recipe: http://domesticatedengineer.blogspot.com/2011/08/shredded-chicken-over-rice.html

And I was happy to win the crock with that recipe through facebook of a group call:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Crock-Pot-Recipe-Exchange/132953486751094

You should check out their recipes, as there are many for crock pots!

Will put on the cornbread recipe as it is made with yogurt.
Southern Yogurt Corn Bread
Adapted from:  Don Holmes

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (opt.)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to blend them . Spoon into a greased round 8" cake pan or 8x8" square pan. Bake in a preheated oven set at 400 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a light golden brown on top and make sure it is done in the middle with toothpick test.
Enjoy!

No comments: