Monday, April 18, 2011

Pineapple Chiffon Cake

Pineapple Chiffon Cake
Made this Chiffon Cake and as I was sharing with a friend, they asked how much sugar was it in. I looked at the recipe and realized I forgot to add the sugar. What was really interesting you couldn't tell it was missing! It still baked up nicely and tasted great! My friend, was amazed how well it did taste. I will be making this again and comparing the difference with the sugar this time.

Here is the recipe from where I got it: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pineapple-Chiffon-Cake/Print
No wonder, she received a blue ribbon, it was light and delicious!

I followed the recipe, except as I mention I forgot the sugar. For the topping I made a pineapple glaze.
In the recipe for the cake it calls for 2/3 cup pineapple juice. I took a can of crushed pineapple and drained it. It was exactly 2/3 cup liquid, so I used that for the cake and took the pineapple, put it in a pan and added 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon corn syrup and cooked up until the sugar dissolved. Then in a small bowl I put 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/2 cup water and stirred until the cornstarch dissolved. This I added to the pineapple and cooked until thickened, about 2 minutes. After the cake was cooled, I put this pineapple glaze onto it and it really made the cake. This can also be used as a filling for cakes.

Ingredients
8 egg whites
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (opt.)
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions

  • Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt if you use it. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, pineapple juice, oil and lemon peel. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
  • In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
  • Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
  • Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Add the above pineapple glaze recipe or a glaze you prefer.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Oh, my goodness! You've really inspired me now - I have to make this - Mother's favorite is Pineapple Upside Down cake and this looks even better! Thank you for sharing!! (I have added a Print button to my blog-if you click on it, it will take you to the site where you can copy & paste this onto your site and everyone can easily print your recipes.)