Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 10 An Old Fashion Milkshake

Linked this recipe up to:  Vintage Recipe Thursday.

 



 I came across this recipe in the ‘Rumford Complete Cookbook’, first printed in 1908. I have the 1945 edition.

Individual Milk Shake
Two-thirds fill a tall glass with cold milk. Add 2 tablespoons any preferred flavoring – fruit juice, chocolate syrup, malted milk powder, etc. Sweeten, if desired, add cracked ice to fill glass and turn into shaker and shake vigorously; or pour several times from one glass to another. Dust with cinnamon or nutmeg.
That’s it, that’s the recipe!! 
Simple and to your likening!
Enjoy!



Would like to put this new type of shake on! New for me anyway, got the idea from Katie at: http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/peanut-butter-banana-smoothie-recipe.html
Her idea of adding oatmeal sounding so different, I just had to try it. Here is what I did different:
1st put into a blender 1/4 cup dried oatmeal, 1/4 cup any kind of nut (I used walnuts and almonds) you like and blend until it looks like powder, not paste.


Then add 1 sliced frozen banana, 1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup plain home-made yogurt (you can use a carton of 4-6 ounce plain yogurt) and 3/4 cup milk. Blend all this together and you get a creamy delicious breakfast on the go! In my pictures you will see little seed like things, this is some raisins, I put in, when I blended the nuts and oatmeal. Added good sweetness.
You can make so many different varieties with any fruits or nuts and even add dates for sweetness. Thanks Katie for the idea and new shakes!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Your version looks delicious! I want to try it :)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

That's a great and tasty breakfast-on-the-go or even a quick-and-easy treat or dessert. So glad you are sharing your vintage cookbook with Vintage Recipe Thursday. Thank you for using the button too. Have a great day and see you soon.