Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 31 - Last Day!!! 35 Fantastic Ice Cream Recipes!

Alrighty, we did it! Made it to the end of August with 35 great recipes to help us stay cool. This summer has been super hot here in Wichita, KS. We have, as of today, tied the record of having 50 days of over 100 degrees since 1936. Wow! And the next two days will  put us over and on to a new record.
If  you copied all of these ice cream recipes you would have a cute little booklet to give someone, who loves ice cream. Put your own little decorations on the page and you will have praises of  a cute gift!
For the last recipe of this summer is.......


Ginger-Pear Ice Cream - original recipe


2 ripe pears, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons sugar
4 cups whole milk
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
10 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cup sugar
Step 1 - In small bowl, combine chopped pears and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cover and chill mixture overnight.
Step 2 - Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine milk and ginger. Cook and stir just until bubbles start to form around edge of saucepan. Remove from heat.
Step 3 - In large bowl, combine egg yolks and 1 1/4 sugar. Slowly stir in hot milk mixture. Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture coats a metal spoon. If mixture looks lsightly cordled, whisk vigorously until smooth.
Step 4 - Quickly cool milk mixutre by placing sucepan in sinkof ice water for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cover and chill overnight.
Step 5 - Strain milk mixture through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl; discard ginger. Pour milk mixture into freezer canister of 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Stir in chilled pear mixture.


It was good and creamy!

 *Glenda's Way
1 can 15-ounce size, sliced pears, drained and rinse
Put these pears in a container and chill, while preparing milk mixture.

2 cups whole milk
2 cups half-n-half
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
4 whole eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
Step 1 - In medium saucepan, combine milk and half-n-half and ginger. Cook and stir just until bubbles start to form around edge of saucepan. Remove from heat.
Step 2 - In large bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Slowly stir in hot milk mixture. Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture coats a metal spoon. If mixture looks slightly curdled, whisk vigorously until smooth. It looks like it starting to thicken like pudding.
Step 3 - Strain milk mixture through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl that has a lid. Discard ginger. Chill this for about 2 hours.
Ready to be chilled!

Step 4 -  Take out bowl from refrigerator and add chilled mashed pairs. Put all of this into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Enjoy!

My view, along with the quilting group ladies: Very creamy!!!! (I was glad I didn't use 10 egg yolks. If  I would have had fresh pears, I would of use them.) I will be making this again, next summer. We all liked this recipe.
Here all we had left over, for my friend's husband.


Well we did it, a month worth of ice cream ideas! Each recipe I made, was new for me and I am glad for the recipes I chose to make. I made strawberry, pumpkin, chocolate and pear ginger ice creams. I finally made caramel sauce for the first time. Also I did taste each by having a small bowl full and shared the rest with family and friends, so nope I didn't gain any weight. Yea for that!  Next summer, I will try and make some of the recipes, that I didn't this year! It was fun to make them and to know that I didn't have to have an ice cream maker. Thanks for following  along with me on this 'Month of Ice Cream'!

sent off to:

No comments: