Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 16 - Pumpkin Ice Cream

Well, I did it, never thought I would. Yep, I made pumpkin ice cream. I enjoy pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, and cookies, but never thought I would like pumpkin ice cream. Let me tell you, this the home-made stuff is GRRREAT!!!! Now remember I don't have an ice cream maker, so it is not as creamy, but it taste just as good.
So here's the recipe I used: (adapted from BH&G Ice Cream booklet)
Pumpkin Ice Cream
2 cups half and half or cream
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
Step 1 - In medium saucepan, combine cream and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat about 5 mintues or until bubbles form around edge of saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.

 Step 2 - In small bowl, combine egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Slowly whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into egg mixture; return all of egg mixture to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or just until mixture coats a metal spoon. Do not boil. (It curdles if you do, believe me it happened.)
Step 3 - Pour mixture through fine-mesh sieve into bowl. Stir in vanilla. Whisk in pumpkin. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for about 3 hours.

 Step 4 - Pour pumpkin mixture into freezer canister of 1 1/2 or 2 quart size of ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Had some caramel sauce leftover, so I put a little on!
ENJOY!!!                                                    

1 comment:

polypeptide said...

I absolutely LOVE pumpkin ice cream! I'd get it every Holiday season at Braum's. That and eggnog together. I don't know if anyone else would like those two together, but I do.