Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 7 You know your a Mormon if...

…you find a recipe of ice cream from a Prophet.

Was looking through a recipe book my grandmother gave me a long time ago for some ice cream recipes and found this one. Joseph Fielding Smith is a relative of Joseph Smith, first President of our church, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So I was glad to see this recipe. 5 cups of sugar! Wow! What you are making is simple sugar syrup and adding the rest of the ingredients.
The recipe is a collection from Nan Reuel. As I google searched this, I found out that the original recipe comes from Joseph Fielding Smith’s daughter, Amelia Smith McConkie.

Joseph Fielding Smith’s  Sherbet

2 quarts water
5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 quart whipping cream
2 quarts milk
6 juiced oranges, chilled
2 juiced lemons, chilled
1 one-pound can crushed pineapple, chilled
3 or 4 mashed bananas
1. Combine water, sugar, salt and cornstarch. Cook until clear; then cool.
2. Add whipping cream and milk.
3. Add orange and lemon juice, then pineapple and bananas.
4. Pour into a 6 quart freezer and freeze.

If you would like to know more about our church please feel free to look at this web site: www.Mormon.org




2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

My daughter is going to get such a kick out of this post, I can't wait to tell her about it.

I'm sure she will share it with her Mormon friends not to mention her Mormon born husband and children.

I'm with you, 5 cups of sugar, oh sweetness!!!

Thanks for sharing, Glenda...

GStaples said...

Louise,
Thanks for the nice comment!